Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My Reading List Revisited

Last January I posted a list of the books I read in 2005 and the ones I hoped to read in 2006. For my own benefit, I wanted to look at that list again and see how I did. You can come along too.

On my books to read list:
Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams
A Mom After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George
Bruchko by Bruce Olson
Birthright: Christian Do You Know Who You Are by David C. Needham
The Chronicles of Narnia (7 books) by C. S. Lewis

I did read the Douglas Adams books (those were a re-read) and I also read Bruchko. I got about halfway into the Elizabeth George book and stalled. I need to pick that one up again--it was pretty good stuff. I didn't even touch Birthright. I didn't read through the Narnia series, but I did get out the first book and started reading it a few pages at a time with my son.

Although I didn't get through my list, I did read a few others not on the list, several as assignments for the School of Women's Ministries. I read Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: The Paradox of Personal Dysfunction by Gary L. McIntosh and Samuel D.Sr. Rima, which was a pretty good book. I read a short (auto)biography of Fanny Crosby called This Is My Story This Is My Song. I also read the classic Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan for the first time ever. Another book I stalled halfway through is Revolution in World Missions by K. P. Yohannan, a great, eye-opening read that I need to pick up and finish and that I also highly recommend. Those are all that I can recall at this moment.

I'm really impressed with myself because I have always disliked reading books and, therefore, read as little as I could get away with in school. That meant I spent my twenties reading hardly anything. But maybe I'll make up for it in my thirties! I don't have a list I'm working off of this year, but so far I've already read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable by Patrick M. Lencioni. Maybe now it's time to pick up those unfinished ones!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

what did you think of pilgrim's progress? i've thought about reading it...