Thursday, February 15, 2007

Blast From the Past

I have officially lived in Fresno for about 10 years. (Unofficially for 4 years before that, too.) I've lived in four neighborhoods, attended three churches, had two employers, went to one school, and been involved in several other random groups. That's enough involvement to get to know quite a few people. But I rarely run into people I know. Let me correct myself: I rarely run into people I used to know. (I run into people from my neighborhood and my church quite often!) But the last few days have been different. It started with a baby shower. A guy I used to work with and his wife just had their first baby. (Congrats Ramiro and Yvonne!) I hadn't talked to or seen either of them for about three years but a mutual friend got us in touch again. They invited me to a baby shower on Saturday where I got to see the new baby, his parents I hadn't seen for years, and even one of the new mom's friends I'd met many times but also hadn't seen for three years. Wow! I realize that's not exactly "running into" somebody but the next ones are. Tuesday, the kids and I picked up my husband from work and went to McDonald's for lunch. We're standing in line when I notice a man get in line behind us--it's another guy I used to work with (Marky T as we used to fondly refer to him) that I haven't seen for probably about four years. Then last night we went to Costco. Yes, on Valentine's Day. I figured there would be less people and I was right. What I didn't realize was that we would run into the Truitt family with whom we used to go to church. We hadn't seen them for at least three and a half years. It's funny because I used to try to avoid running into people I knew. If I saw someone in a store I would look the other way and pretend to be carefully selecting parsnips or whatever might be nearby. Not to be mean or rude but to protect us both from the awkward conversation that I knew would ensue. But now, well, now I live for awkward conversation! I'm the one to get the other person's attention. (Actually the Truitts got my attention before I saw them--They live for awkward conversation, too.) I actually enjoy running into people now. I really don't know what changed, but I like it better this way! I no longer have to purchase unnecessary root vegetables!

No comments: