Sunday, May 21, 2006

What Happened?

I went to a wedding this weekend. I stood in the foyer waiting to sign the guestbook when I realized I hadn't been in a church like this one for a long time. The walls (in the foyer and the sanctuary) were covered in long, dark wood strips reaching all the way to the high ceiling (probably about 80 feet at its highest point). Above the door were several stained glass windows. The sanctuary was long and tall and, at the front, had a big raised "skylight" of stained glass artwork. My husband who is a structural engineer made the observation that nobody would build anything like this anymore because of the cost. I agreed, pointing out as an example that our church is in the process of building a new facility that will be large and metal. But I kept thinking about this. It would be irresponsible, I reasoned, to spend twice as much money as necessary to build a church building just to make it ornate. But this thinking doesn't fit with what I read in the Bible...

Exodus 25:1-9
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Tell the sons of Israel to raise a contribution for Me; from every man whose heart moves him you shall raise My contribution. "This is the contribution which you are to raise from them: gold, silver and bronze, blue, purple and scarlet material, fine linen, goat hair, rams' skins dyed red, porpoise skins, acacia wood, oil for lighting, spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense, onyx stones and setting stones for the ephod and for the breastpiece. "Let them construct a sanctuary for Me, that I may dwell among them. "According to all that I am going to show you, as the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furniture, just so you shall construct it. "

For the construction of the tabernacle, God asked the people to contribute, not just general building materials but their finest possessions to adorn the place. The next few chapters go into the details of all of it and it is to be a place full of, essentially, artwork and fine craftsmanship.

2 Chronicles 3: 5 - 7
He overlaid the main room with cypress wood and overlaid it with fine gold, and ornamented it with palm trees and chains. Further, he adorned the house with precious stones; and the gold was gold from Parvaim. He also overlaid the house with gold--the beams, the thresholds and its walls and its doors; and he carved cherubim on the walls.

This passage refers to Solomon building the temple of the Lord in Jerusalem. Again, a more-than-functional, highly adorned place.

I imagine (though I don't have anything to prove this) that that temple was the probably the most beautiful building in Jerusalem. So why do the most impressive new buildings in my city house retail stores and movie theatres? What happened? Certainly there are many churches throughout the world that have become icons of architecture because of the beauty of their design. But have any been built recently?

I find myself using the reasoning some of Jesus' followers used in Mark 14 when a woman poured very expensive perfume on Jesus' head. "Why has this perfume been wasted? For this perfume might have been sold for over three hundred denarii, and the money given to the poor." Jesus, of course, defends the woman's actions and even promises that she will always be remembered for doing this.

So I'm left with these questions: Is it a waste to make a place of worship ornate for God's glory? If no, then is it wrong to spend as little as possible just to make it functional, freeing up the money that would have been spent on ornamentation to be used for other good purposes? What happened in the history of the church that has led us to value economy for God's glory over beauty for God's glory?

6 comments:

Vessel said...

Spending time in Europe in college, I several cathedrals. Many hundreds of years old with breathtaking stained glass and paintings on the ceilings. It gave me a sense of reverance. I don't know what the building means to God, but I am sure that he treasures our reverance. How holy and reverant is my temple? He probably is more concerned with that area.

NerdMom said...

Following in line with Jules, think about Europe. I think of my friends who have go to those countries and talk of the great churches. Then I read about the lack of God and Christ in those countries. If I was given one choice or the other, well you know where I am going. The other thing is the people of Israel were to bring the best they have. I truly believe that that is what the congregation is currently doing is the best of what we have. I truly think that is going to be a beautiful building when it is done.

Anonymous said...

I feel that as Christians were are to do all things with excellence, giving our all and our best. God also wants us to be wise with His money that he has put into our possesion. I do not feel that we should be building overly ornate buildings, nor should we be building with architecture that is no longer considered current or pleasing. However, I do feel that the church building should be crafted to a level greater than other buildings, but today it is not. It, like most building projects is driven my economics and function with little regard to glorifying God through the structure. I believe the Church has lost some reverence for His building ans His word. We should be doing better. Thanks for a thought provoking entry.

Cheri said...

I'd like to give two answers:
#1: The passage you quoted in Ex 25 said God wanted them to build the bldg for Him to dwell among them. He now dwells within us. I think this may be what Jules was alluding to at the end of her comment: How holy and reverant is my temple? Let us get this temple beautified first.
#2: On a more physical, practical level, I think Brad has spoken well.
I also appreciate your thought-provoking entry!

Hale said...

As a Christian, and an admirer of architecture, this is a thought-provoking and heart-string tugging topic.

As mentioned before, walking into a cathedral in Europe, or even into the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco is an awe-inspiring experience. Which is exactly what was intended by those responsible for their construction.

Cathedrals in their heyday, were designed an built to create a sense of awe, reverance, and heaven-on-earth.
The idea was to inspire the congregation.

Unfortunately, those Cathedrals represent something else to many non-Christians and Christians alike. They represent the misuse of God's money by the Catholic church. At a time when poverty, disease, and famine were rampant, The Church was spending incredible amounts of money building those structures.

Don't get me wrong, I think they do accomplish what they were intended to do. Absolutely, an amazing experience walking into a Gothic cathedral. I have felt a true sense of awe, reverence and heaven-on-earth each time.

As much as I would absolutely love to have our church (the structure) be something inspiring to that degree, I think what goes on inside the church, and is extended beyond its walls by the congregation and leadership is far more important.

I also should point out that every time I am in our sanctuary, and I gaze upon the cross over the alter, warmly lit oak, appearing to hover there.... I am struck with awe, and reverance, and feel a close connection with Jesus.

Hale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.