Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Barefoot Summers

Memorial Day has come and gone, June is two days away... The time of barbecues, swimming pools, and sunburns is here! I love living in California's Central Valley because summer lasts so long. We normally have barbecue/swimming/sunburn season from April to November. Sure, much of it is near 100 degrees, but still! One of my favorite things about summer is going barefoot. As much as I like to buy shoes, I like even more to not wear them. I grew up in Bakersfield, CA but now live in Fresno. One of my sisters (Joleen) who also lives in Fresno and I have noticed a trend. It doesn't always apply but often does: People from Bakersfield prefer going barefoot. And my corollary: We love summer. If you were to go a grocery store on a summer weekend, when I was growing up, you would see that most of the people there were a) wearing swimsuits, b) buying meat, charcoal, and beer, and c) barefoot. Okay, most adults usually had at least one piece of clothing in addition to their swimsuit. And not everyone was barefoot, but some were, and I don't think I've EVER seen that in Fresno. I miss that. So, my carefree days of leaving my house without shoes are gone, but you can't take summer away from me! Start the barbecues and get out the sunscreen--summer's here!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I hate to break it to ya, but that ain't no "Bakersfield" thang. Sweetie, that's a "country bumpkin" thang! All those nice folks down there in Bakersfield just like livin' the simple life; goin' barefoot, BBQ'n, drinkin' beer, and watchin' NASCAR! Yeah, Baby!

Sara Edwards said...

Just for the record: My summer memories do NOT include NASCAR!!!

Anonymous said...

I must agree with Red Neck Girl, that ain't no Bakersfield thang! It is definitely a backwoods, okie thang! I know because I grew up in Porterville and that's exactly how it was...and probably still is!

Anonymous said...

Hey, what is so bad about Porterville? I grew up there too and there ain't nothing wrong with nobodys whose does live there.

Sara Edwards said...

Note to self: Don't bother packing shoes for next weekend's P'ville trip.

Hale said...

Don't listen to redneck girl.

She's the one that likes to get pedicures in the middle of a NASCAR race.

PFFFFFFFFT *rolls eyes*

Vessel said...

Sara, I'm with ya. I grew up in Dinuba! We didn't have shoes!!!! We rode our bikes barefoot, our horses barefoot and swam in the ditch across the street for fun.
(those were the days)

Maya said...

I rode my bike barefoot once...ONCE!!! The aftermath was ugly and I'm still scarred by it! I'll save you the graphic visual!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree - I grew up in Dinuba also, and barefoot is my favorite way to be, although now that I live in the city, flip-flops are necessary on hot pavement & sidewalks.

Cheri said...

2 of the most wonderful memories from B-town: #1: playing in the pool at home at 9pm in the 90 degree weather and looking up at the stars and #2: hosing down pool decks where I worked at 7am before anyone else was there. Who knew that NOR's lack of janatorial funds would be such a blessing?

NerdMom said...

My mom was a barefoot person. What has always prevented me is that ground gets hot and I am a tenderfoot;).

Sara Edwards said...

I'm glad to hear I have so many people on my side, here--I had thought I might get laughed at.

nerdmom - That's what callouses are for!

NerdMom said...

But it hurts until you get them;).