Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Treasure Hunt

You know the classic question: "What would you do for a million dollars?" Last week I learned my answer to a variation on that question: "What would you dig through the trash for?"

Monday I realized that I thrown out UPC codes I needed for a free offer I was going to send in for. Not only had I thrown them in the wastebasket, but my husband had already emptied all the wastebaskets (including diapers) into one big bag and deposited that into the big canister outside, where many similar looking bags already resided. The offer was worth a net $22, and I decided digging through all that wasn't worth $22. (ThiswillworkMan AKA IcanfinditMan thought it was.)

Q - Would you dig through the outdoor garbage can to find $22?
A - No

On Wednesday, my stepdad was looking through my newspaper for a ($13 value) coupon he wanted. He didn't find it and I suggested that maybe it was in Tuesday's paper, but I didn't see it lying around. A few minutes later I opened the recycling can in the kitchen to toss something and saw Tuesday's paper buried under various cans, bottles, boxes, etc. I decided to grab a couple sections and search for the coupon which I quickly found.

Q - Would you dig through the indoor recycling can to find $13?
A - Yes

Now, would it have made a difference if in the first case it had been cash, instead? Maybe. I don't know. So what about you: What would you dig through the trash for?

2 comments:

April said...

Well, as a matter of fact, just the other day my husband bought a smoothie maker that was on sale at Rite Aid. He brought it home, but didn't open for about two days. When he finally decided to try it out, he discovered it didn't work, and went looking for the receipt, which I had thrown away the night before . . . just before the kids had ketchup laden corndogs . . . that they did not finish. So, needless to say, I went digging through ketchup and corndog remnants to find a receipt for a smoothie maker that had to be returned. The value . . . $20.

Vessel said...

I am a notorius thrower. I rarely save anything and am getting into trouble constantly for getting rid of things my hubby intended to save. I have a paper pet peeve!!!!
I haven't had the PRIVILEDGE of digging through the trash for something as glamorous as a rebate or cash. No.I have dug through the stinky, foul trash can for various bills, receipts and alumni letters.
I guess now I would dumpster dive for cash in a heart-beat!!