Thursday, April 14, 2005

What I Learned From My One-Year-Old at Legoland

I just got back yesterday from a vacation with my family. Among other places, we visited Legoland. I have always wanted to go to Legoland and, now that I have a child, I finally have a good excuse. Being six months pregnant and having a 19-month old, we didn't ride many rides, but we had a great time.

When we first entered the park, we stopped at a couple of 3-foot-high figures made completely of Legos. Several kids were having their pictures taken with them and my son didn't want to miss out on any of that fun. So we took a couple pictures and started to move on toward one of the attractions. But he wanted to stay there with these Lego statues. We tried to explain to him (since reasoning works so well with one-year-olds) that this was just the beginning, that there was so much more to see, that there was much more fun to be had. "Trust us," we kept telling him, "you are going to have such a good time." He didn't want to hear it, so he threw a fit while my husband picked him up and carried him along.

From my perspective, it was so silly that he wanted to stay there and play, knowing there was a day's worth of excitement waiting just on ahead. But I know that I behave that way sometimes too. God has so much fun and excitement planned for my life, if I would just be willing to leave some of the mediocrity I cling to. I can't see what is up ahead, so, like my son, I stay where I am, thinking, this is good enough. But God wants me to step out in faith. He's saying "Trust me, you are going to have such a good time."

No comments: