Thursday, April 07, 2005

Judicial Tyranny

I wanted to make mention of an interesting topic I heard about this week. I caught a portion of Tuesday's Focus on the Family broadcast. Dr. Dobson was reading from his April newsletter about the topic of "Judicial Tyranny". This was the first time I'd ever heard this phrase but I was intrigued to hear his thoughts. Basically, his view is that the United States government structure is flawed in such a way that judges have unchecked power that they can, as some are, abusing. This is leading our government to become an oligarchy instead of the democracy it was intended to be. I have heard of this "loophole", if I may call it that, in our system of checks and balances, but I have never heard specific examples given. The letter itself is very long but I would encourage anyone to read it, especially if you've never heard of this concept before. I haven't heard enough to be totally convinced that Dr. Dobson is right but he certainly makes some very strong points. Even if his broad claims of what is happening to our government are not true, it still stands that there have been definite instances of particular judges exercising their power in a way that does not uphold our Constitution or the values of the American people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

um the loophole that makes our country an oligarchy and not a democracy is called the Electoral College. funny no one was mentioning "judicial tyranny" when the Supreme Court appointed the president in 2000...