Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The List

I just gave up looking for a list I made a few years back. If I had found it, I would have published it here. It was a list of things I was thankful for. A long list. Several (nine, I think) Thanksgivings ago I casually mentioned to my newlywed husband that I thought I might try to list a thousand things I was thankful for before the holiday arrived. (It's always been important to me to celebrate the meaning of each holiday in some personal way, not just focus on the fluffy stuff.) Probably in an attempt to save me some disappointment, my sweet husband (who knows me better now) told me that I wouldn't be able to make a list that long. Instantly I had a challenge that I had to conquer. I found a fresh legal pad and started writing. Page after page I wrote. Day after day I wrote. I'm not quite sure if I made it to 1000 or not but I know I had at least hundreds of things listed. I thought it would be neat to find that list and read over it. (And count it of course.) In the past nine years I have only accumulated more reasons to be thankful so I should be able to make the 1000 if I hadn't already. Maybe I'll have to start over. Should I go for 2000 this time? (Just kidding Sweetie!!!)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Don't forget to take a moment yourself during what might be a very busy Thanksgiving day and consider what a long list you could write as well!

No comments: