Monday, October 23, 2006

Summer's End

It's been a while since my last post. I apologize about skipping Mystery Lyric Friday. I'll try harder this week.

A while back, I wrote about summer and how I love summertime and going barefoot. Now the hot weather has turned to only warm. The inflatable pool is deflated and in its place is a big muddy spot in the middle of the back lawn. Pumpkins, scarecrows, and gigantic inflatable spiders are popping up in people's front yards. While I love the weather turning cool as much as I love it turning hot, there is something definitely bittersweet about fall. Maybe it's because I know that short days with foggy weather is ahead. But I'm dragging summer out as long as I can. The time doesn't change for another week so we still have sunlit evenings. For the past several weeks, my family and I have been walking a lot in the evenings, often to a restaurant for dinner, sometimes up the road to Starbuck's. Tonight we stayed home. We barbecued some burgers while the sun was just getting ready to set, made some fresh guacomole, and peeled a mandarin orange picked from my mother-in-law's tree this weekend. In what other time and place do you get to enjoy an end-of-summer barbecue with fresh, ripe citrus fruit? I know it won't be long until I'll have to live like summer is gone, but you'll have to drag me kicking and screaming and barefoot.

No comments: