Sunday, October 29, 2006

Boasting in My Weaknesses

A few weeks ago I wrote about my experience leading worship that particular week and I wanted to share another experience from the week before last. One of the things I have been learning is how, when we allow Him, God works through us. That doesn't sound so profound. It's not that I didn't already know this, I just hadn't experienced it to this degree before. Normally our worship team rehearses on Tuesday and then Thursday morning we just sort of set up and warm up together--we don't have time to actually go through all the songs that morning. On this particular week, one of our key members (everyone is key when there are only four of you) was scheduled to be out of town during our Tuesday rehearsal but back in plenty of time to play and sing on Thursday. Our reheasal time on Tuesday went a little shaky, but fine. Thursday morning I arrived at church and our pianist was there but just barely: having just arrived in town the night before (instead of Tuesday night), with no luggage, and a sick kid at home. She hadn't touched a piano for the past week, let alone practiced this week's music. Not only that, but the first song we were playing I don't play on guitar so it's all her. We got through the song after a rough start and the rest of the songs went pretty well. I was content just to see God get us through without any major problems under the circumstances we had. But I usually settle for less than God desires: Over following week I received so much feedback on how meaningful of a worship time it had been to many of the women, with several people specifically noting that first song! All I can say about this over and over is: It is so much not about me. It is so much not about me. I've always felt that I have to be doing my best in order for God to work through me the most. Apparently it's not true. As someone told me the other day, sometimes we just have to get out of the way to let God work.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV)

2 comments:

NerdMom said...

So when are you singing it again in worship? This week sounds great to me!

Maya said...

I remember a time when I spoke at a small function at church and felt totally awful about it during and after! The lady leading the function and I had gone over the questions that she was going to ask me a few days prior. Unfortunately, once the mic was in front of my face, everything that she and I had talked about went out the door! I couldn't remember a thing and felt like nothing I was saying was actually making sense. BUT, after the function, I had so many people come up to me and tell how wonderful it was and how much they enjoyed and/or identified to what I had said!

Personally I thought they were crazy! In all actuality, it was all God! People hear what HE wants them to hear! Leave it to God and He will take care of it!

I'm sure you and the rest of the worship team did wonderfully!