Sunday, February 19, 2006

That's a Wrap

I've been motivated to post to my blog today because at church this morning I learned that a blog is a "frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts." I was convicted about the "frequent" part. This is my 64th post to this blog in its 10 month lifetime. I don't know if you'd consider that frequent. So anyway that's what I learned at church today. Seriously, we just started a sermon series called "blog: Big Lessons on God". You can download the service as a podcast at the NewCov site. (Or you should be able to within the next day or so.)

After church, my husband finished up a project he's been working on for me: This very cool wrapping paper rack (pictured here), with storage for ribbons, bows, etc. and gift bags too! We designed it together, he built it, and he just installed it this afternoon. (Sorry ladies, he's taken.) So, I spent some time transferring colorful paper products from a big plastic bin into this new rack and I made a very interesting discovery: I have a WHOLE LOT of gift bags. Multitudinously more than I thought I had. (There are more than what is in this picture.) This led me to ponder the reason for this. (Why can't I just leave it at I have a lot of gift bags?!) I keep and reuse bags from gifts I receive. (I hope that's not bad etiquette or something.) I rarely buy gift bags, so most of the ones I own once contained gifts for me or someone in my family, but probably me. I like gifts. Feel free to send me one. But not in a gift bag please. But to get back to my pondering: Based on all these facts, I came to the conclusion that I have received multitudinously more gifts than I have given. So I think I'm going to start giving more gifts. I'm not going to invent holidays or anything like that. But I think there are probably times when a gift would be appropriate yet not expected, and I'm going to start erring on the side of giving. Not just to deplete my gift bag supply, of course, but because I really do like giving gifts. And I don't want my new rack to break under the stress of holding all those bags!

No comments: