Monday, July 02, 2007

Okie Tan

Growing up, I used the term "okie tan" to describe the sun tan lines you get from wearing a t-shirt. Everyone I knew in my hometown of Bakersfield, California called it the same thing. I moved away to the big, big city of Fresno and heard a friend say "farmer tan" (or "farmer's tan") to describe that distintive tan. I had never heard that term before. The conversation probably went something like this:

friend: ...So now I've got this dumb farmer tan.
me: What?
friend: My farmer tan.
me: What?
friend (impatiently): My farmer tan. I've got a farmer tan. See? <pulling up short sleeve to reveal contrasting skin tones>
me: Oh! You mean an okie tan!
friend: What?
me: An okie tan.
friend: What?
me (impatiently): An okie tan!!! <pulling up my own short sleeve to reveal contrasting skin tones>

Of course, that's how a lot of my conversations go... So, I've been thinking about this recently and googled "okie tan". The search turned up ONE occurrence of its use.... by a girl in Delano (a city 30 miles north of Bakersfield). So apparently the use of this phrase is limited to a very small region although it is widely used within that region. Isn't that weird?

Have you ever heard "okie tan" before? What term do you use to describe a t-shirt shaped tan? And where did you learn that term? Leave a comment.

3 comments:

Maya said...

I always learn new words and terms from you Sara...you are quite the educational friend!!

I had not heard the term 'okie tan' before. It's always been a 'farmer tan' to me. Not sure where I learned the term, but it's what I use! :D

Cheri said...

Totally "okie tan" all the way! Of course... I'm from b-town too. The okies did settle down in Bakersfield and not Fresno, right? Am I remembering my "Grapes of Wrath" book correctly? Anyway, I've had numerous of the same type of conversations too, Sara.

Also, I think "our" oldies station played some songs from the late 60's/early 70's that shouldn't technically be "oldies". I have learned quite a bit over the past 10 years since my departure.

I must add that I think that most places have their own words for things, but that b-town doesn't have any cities nearby to pass their new words on to. (Unlike so cal, for ex)

Kaylyn Reed said...

So funny! I'm from Taft and just researched this and only found your comment.