Sunday, July 08, 2007

Deja Vu

After studying through Jonah as I had mentioned in an earlier post, I just kept on reading and went through Micah. There were a couple of verses in chapter two that I found really interesting. To summarize the situation, Micah is living during this time where no one in Israel is following God. They have all turned to foreign gods and are doing whatever they darn well please. Micah is a prophet appointed by God, but not accepted by the nation's leaders. In fact, they have even apparently appointed their own prophets. Micah's message is of doom (followed by reconciliation, but mostly doom) for the nation and no one wants to hear that.

Here's verse six: "Do not prophesy,” their prophets say. “Do not prophesy about these things; disgrace will not overtake us.”


And, my favorite, verse 11: If a liar and deceiver comes and says, ‘I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,’ he would be just the prophet for this people!


So, I'm reading this and thinking about how far these people have strayed from God. And then I started wondering if this is at all like the church today. I don't mean that the American church has completely turned from God, but I'm wondering: Are there Biblical truths that are "unacceptable" within the church? Do we try as best we can to ignore those teachers whose messages make us uncomfortable (regardless of whether they speak the truth) and surround ourselves with teachers who give us messages of comfort and prosperity (even if it's a little off the mark biblically)? Although I can't think of a real concrete example, there's something about Israel's response to Micah that feels vaguely familiar.... Is it just me?

No comments: