Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Spoiled or Blessed?

I spent a good portion of the previous week celebrating my 30th birthday. Several weeks back, my sister had asked what I wanted to do to celebrate. I told her some things I had thought of but realized that having recently had a baby 1) I don't feel like planning some sort of get together like I normally would and 2) I think everyone must be getting tired of giving me all the attention. Well, I had four separate birthday celebrations, two of them surprises, and I had a great time! The last one was the biggest surprise: The first three were all with family and I had really wanted to do something fun with my friends. By Sunday, I had decided that that wasn't going to happen and then SURPRISE!, it did!

See, in my life things happen in one of three ways:
1) Sara wants something. Sara gets it. (95% of the time)
2) Sara wants something. Sara doesn't get it right away, is disappointed, but accepts it. Sara gets what she wanted anyway. (4.5%)
3) Sara wants something. Sara doesn't get it, is disappointed, but accepts it. Sara realizes it's better that she doesn't have what she wanted. (.5%)

I call that "spoiled". My husband suggested "blessed". I think the difference is how it's received. Certainly I take many things for granted, but in the last week I have been reminded that I have the best friends and family a girl could ask for. At the (100%) risk of sounding cliche (and I've always thought this sounded so insincere, though I mean it): That's the best birthday gift of all.

1 comment:

Maya said...

Awww shucks! I'm so glad that you had a great birthday week with your firends and family. Also glad that you enjoyed the last one the most! Your guests definitely had a great time!