Thursday, July 13, 2006

More Than You Want to Think About on a Friday (Sorry!)

Yesterday, I was talking with a friend and the subject of the US public welfare system came up. My friend, who will remain nameless for this story, said what I or most any other friend of mine would have said: The government shouldn't be taking care of the people who are supported by welfare, the church should. Being in an argumentative mood, I asked what she was doing about it. How was she eliminating the need for government welfare? Could she name one person/family she had helped? Now please understand, I wasn't attacking my friend, but using her to have an argument with myself. And though I hung up the phone more than 24 hours ago, the argument is still going on in my head. I have many thoughts and I'll try to share them in an organized manner. (We'll see how that goes...)

1. I'm not going to build a big case that Christians should be giving to the poor, orphans, widows, etc. I'm working on the assumption that that is required. But I will throw in a few thoughts on that: a) the "church" (who is called to support needy people) is not some organization but a group of believing individuals. b) There seems to be a common comparison in scripture between spiritual wealth/need and physical wealth/need. (I didn't say correlation, but comparison.) Kind of like how the relationship between Christ and the church is compared to that between husband and wife. We are called to give to both the spiritually and physically needy. I don't think we can dismiss the call to the physically needy as symbolic anymore than we can dismiss the commands given to husbands and wives and symbolic.

2. So what am I doing about it? My normal answer: I give money to organizations who feed hungry people. I think this is good. I'm not sure that we are necessarily called to do more than that. And yet... There's something inside of me that just knows that is an excuse. Inside, I breathe a sigh of relief because now I don't have to get my hands dirty. Just write a check. Voila! The hungry are fed! Besides, there's more to it than food. What about other living expenses? What about other needs that aren't fixed with money?

3. Who is "needy"? Is anyone in the United States really "needy"? I've heard people say that in the U.S. we really don't know what need is. Every nook and cranny of settled land is plumbed with working sewer systems and clean water. I imagine you can't get further than 100 miles from a grocery store. I don't know how true this is. I know there are people in my own city who may not have eaten today. I call that "needy".

Questions I haven't had time to research/think through yet.... (not that the last questions had definitive answers)

4. What do you do when your life doesn't intersect with lives of needy people? A few days ago I was thinking about how I was praying prayers of mediocrity. I hate that. I want God to work mightily in my life and all around me, yet I pray that he would keep/make things "okay". But I realized that sometimes I think I limit God by the way I live my life. I don't take risks. I hardly leave my house. (Not that God can't work mightily in my house, but still.) I don't interact with many people, especially people that might believe or think differently than I do. All that came rushing back to me as I started thinking about meeting people's needs. But am I supposed to go out looking for needy people, befriend them, and take them under my wing or what? That doesn't seem quite like the right thing.

5. Are we called to take care of the needy outside the church or only other believers?


Okay. There might have been more. If I think of anything, I'll add it in the comments. So, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree with any of that? Do you think any of it is misrepresenting scripture? I look forward to your comments!

No comments: